NFL Linebacker Indicted for Allegedly Slugging Queens Cop

Detroit Lions Linebacker Trevor Bates was arraigned by video conference in Queens Criminal Court. AP Photo.

Detroit Lions Linebacker Trevor Bates was arraigned by video conference in Queens Criminal Court. AP Photo.

By David Brand

An NFL linebacker who allegedly punched a cop in the face inside a Queens precinct station house in February was indicted on assault charges in Queens Supreme Court on Friday.

Trevor Bates, 25, was arrested on Jan. 26 for allegedly refusing to pay a $32 cab fare outside an East Elmhurst hotel. Cops were set to release Bates with a desk appearance ticket until he allegedly lost control and hit NYPD Sergeant James O’Brien, splitting open the cop’s face near his eye.

Cops tasered Bates and he was taken to a local hospital for a psychiatric evaluation. He was still in the hospital when he was arraigned by video conference last month.

Bates, a Maine resident, appeared briefly in court before Justice Barry Kron on Friday morning but declined to talk with the media.

“After the defendant was told he had to be fingerprinted — required in every arrest — the man became combative and punched the sergeant in the face,” said Chief Assistant District Attorney James Ryan, who DA Richard Brown designated to lead the office while Brown handles health issues. “This kind of behavior cannot and will not be tolerated in Queens.”

Bates was released on $10,000 bail last month and is scheduled to return to court on June 3.

Bates, a standout defensive player at the University of Maine, was drafted by the Indianapolis Colts in the seventh round of the 2016 NFL Draft. He spent last season with the Detroit Lions.

Bates played for New England Patriots team that won Super Bowl LI in February 2017. He was also a member of the New York Giants’ practice squad during the 2017 season.

Bates’ attorney declined to comment on Friday, but his agent Jeff Jankovich released a statement on Jan. 28.

“Following his incident in New York on Saturday, our client Trevor Bates was taken to an area hospital where he remains as he undergoes testing and a mental health evaluation. I have spoken with members of Trevor’s family and others close to him, all of whom have expressed deep concern that his behavior this weekend is not at all consistent with the man and friend we know him to be,” Jankovich said.

“Since entering the NFL in 2016, Trevor has demonstrated a genuine passion for serving his community in various charitable and outreach capacities,” he continued. “He understands the powerful platform that comes with being a professional athlete, and his actions this weekend are in no way a reflection of who he is as a person.”

“We take this situation very seriously and express concern for Sergeant O’Brien and the members of the New York City Police Department. At this time our priority is to ensure that Trevor receives the help he needs and that the privacy of the parties involved be respected until more information becomes available.”