NFL Linebacker Arraigned Ten Days After Precinct Melee

Detroit Lions Linebacker Trevor Bates was arraigned by video conference in Queens Criminal Court. AP Photo

Detroit Lions Linebacker Trevor Bates was arraigned by video conference in Queens Criminal Court. AP Photo

By David Brand

A Detroit Lions linebacker who allegedly attacked cops inside a Queens police precinct last month was arraigned in Queens Criminal Court Tuesday.

Trevor Bates, 25, was arraigned via video conference on charges of second- and third-degree assault, theft of services, second-degree obstructing governmental administration and resisting arrest. Bates remains at a Queens hospital where he is receiving treatment.

Bates was arrested Jan. 26 outside a Hampton Inn on Ditmars Boulevard in East Elmhurst and taken to the 115th Precinct, where officers informed him he would receive a desk appearance ticket. Bates allegedly refused to be fingerprinted and punched NYPD Sergeant James O’Brien in the face, according to the Queens District Attorney’s Office.

Officers Tasered Bates and he was taken to a local hospital where he remains, the DA’s Office said in a statement.

"The defendant is accused of refusing to pay a cabbie who drove the player from Manhattan to his hotel in Queens,” said Queens District Attorney Richard A. Brown. “The defendant then allegedly attacked an NYPD sergeant during the issuance of a desk appearance ticket for the fare beating charge."

O’Brien was taken to a local hospital, where he was diagnosed with a concussion and received stitches to treat a wound near his eye, according to the DA’s Office.

Bates was a member of the New England Patriots team that won Super Bowl LI in February 2017. He was also a member of the New York Giants’ practice squad during the 2018 season.

Judge Karina Alomar set bail at $10,000 bond or $5,000 cash and ordered Bates to return to court on March 8.

If convicted, Bates faces up to seven years in prison.  

Bates is represented by attorneys Eric Breslin and Sarah Stewart from the law firm of Duane Morris.  Breslin and Stewart did not immediately respond to a voicemail.

Lion Executive Vice President and General Manager Bob Quinn said the team was “aware of the arrest” on Jan. 27.

”We have not spoken to Trevor as of yet and are still in the process of gathering more information,” Quinn said in a statement. “The Detroit Lions will have no further comment at this time.”

Bates’ agent Jeff Jankovich released a statement on Jan. 28.

“Following his incident in New York on Saturday, our client Trevor Bates was taken to an area hospital where he remains as he undergoes testing and a mental health evaluation. I have spoken with members of Trevor’s family and others close to him, all of whom have expressed deep concern that his behavior this weekend is not at all consistent with the man and friend we know him to be,” Jankovich said.

“Since entering the NFL in 2016, Trevor has demonstrated a genuine passion for serving his community in various charitable and outreach capacities,” he continued. “He understands the powerful platform that comes with being a professional athlete, and his actions this weekend are in no way a reflection of who he is as a person.”

“We take this situation very seriously and express concern for Sergeant O’Brien and the members of the New York City Police Department. At this time our priority is to ensure that Trevor receives the help he needs and that the privacy of the parties involved be respected until more information becomes available.”