More Details Emerge About a New Queens Pro Soccer Team

The New York City Economic Development Corporation contracted with the Queens Development Group to develop a project at the site in 2008.  Eagle  photo by Todd Maisel.

The New York City Economic Development Corporation contracted with the Queens Development Group to develop a project at the site in 2008. Eagle photo by Todd Maisel.

By David Brand

Though local elected officials and the United Soccer League (USL) have been silent regarding a new professional soccer team in Queens, plans have begun to take shape via social media and trademark activity.

Last week, soccer writer Chris Kivlehan reported that Mary Frances Love, an attorney who often works on behalf of the USL, filed to register trademarks for the names Queensboro FC, Queensboro United FC and QBFC for the company Queensboro United Football Club LLC on Dec. 18.

Love did not answer the phone when contacted by the Eagle on Wednesday.

“USL teams typically do not register trademarks until an announcement is either imminent or has already occurred,” Kivlehan said on Twitter.

Attorney Sam Brylski also discovered that, earlier this month, new Twitter accounts were created for the handles @QueensboroFC and @QueensboroUTD.

On Dec. 19, the Eagle contacted several USL executives by phone and email to discuss the proposed team. Brett Luy, a senior vice president, was the only person who answered the phone and responded to a question about a Queens team.

“I won’t comment on that,” Luy said. “You’ll have to talk to our PR department.”

The “PR department” hung up the phone when Luy transferred the call. A low-level USL employee contacted by the Eagle said they had never heard of a Queens team.

The USL did not respond to additional requests for comment on Wednesday.

Kivlehan, citing soccer insiders, reported that the new USL team would likely begin play in 2020. The USL is considered the second-tier of the American soccer pyramid after Major League Soccer.

In February, Borough President Melinda Katz and Councilmember Francisco Moya organized a task force to propose a project for the Willets Point Development plan. One of the projects that the task force is considering includes a soccer stadium. Both Katz and Moya have publicly expressed their support for a soccer stadium in Willets Point.

Neither Katz nor Moya have responded to multiple requests for more information about the stadium proposal.

The Eagle first reported on the potential new team in October, days after Councilmember Moya and Katz posed for a photo with soccer star David Villa at Borough Hall. Villa played for New York City Football Club until last month, when he signed with a club in Japan.

Katz’s press team sent the photo, along with a suggested caption to members of the press. The caption said that the three met to “discuss the future of ‘The Beautiful Game’ in ‘The World’s Borough.’”

“One option that was discussed is a proposal to build a 10,000 to 25,000-seat soccer stadium in the Willets Point redevelopment area that would serve as home for the Queensboro Football Club, a proposed new team that would play in the United Soccer League, a second division professional league,” the statement said.